2.5.10

not iTunes why? Whats the alternative?

In my case, the alternativ (since 1991) is a consistent folder-filename structure; this works with any device plus if you ever want to run an additional index or use some kind of database software, it's easy to pull the data as long as the naming scheme is consistent.

I know that this is a very basic, simple approach; but I've seen to many software companies disappear - my point being that I don't want to invest an enormous amount of time to enter meta-data which I might lose in the future. My music-collection should definitely last longer than a couple of software generations, so for me, the "folder/filename-system" definitely is the best option. And since I've been working as music journalist for fifteen years, I'm talking about a huge collection here: I got about 20 promo albums per week, and I've mp3'ed all the ones I like, plus all the netlabel stuff I collected. All in all, we're talking about 1.5 Terabytes here - any my simple, yet fail-proof system works very well. To find tunes quickly, I additionally use and indexing software (Copernic) - definitely no need for iTunes.

Ask me anything

No comments:

Post a Comment